Creative slumps. We all get them. We get stuck on one idea, or feel void of new ideas. Often we just sit and wallow in our lack of creativity, but there are many ways to get out of a creative slump.
Here are 5 ways that work for me.
- Look at great creative. Get up from your desk, go to a new setting and page thru a design magazine. You’ll see other great ideas, and it will get you thinking.
- Talk to someone. Take your project or idea to someone and walk them through it. Be open to feedback and their ideas.
- Sketch your concepts. Even if you feel you are beyond the sketching stage, go back and sketch some more ideas. Don’t sketch iterations of an idea, sketch completely new ideas, and jump from one to the next.
- Get some exercise. Get up from your desk, walk around the block, go for a run, whatever you can fit in. Clear your mind and new ideas will flood in.
- Take a picture. Grab your camera, go outside, look around and force yourself to look at something differently and take a picture. Take a FEW pictures with different angles.
Creative slumps are usually the product of not interacting with anything outside of your computer screen. Usually it’s just a matter of changing something; your environment, your thought process, your mind set.
Do you have a great method for breaking through a creative slump? Please share!